Poetry is full of lessons, emotions and choices. As well as wandering thoughts. My metaphor for poetry is "Poetry is a never ending book, full of advice and wisdom" It just depends on how willing you are to take it and learn from it.
Something that I carry with me/ wear daily is a ring that my mother gave to be about 8 years ago. It is a white gold band with a pink sapphire heart. She gave it to me for Christmas, and I tried it on immediately, and have never taken it off since. Funny thing is, I have always hated pink. I was never a girly girl and pink just was not my color of choice. She knew that and some how still ended up getting me this ring, but when I opened it, that did not matter to me. I loved it, I never said anything about how much I hate pink, because we all knew, but it was from her. To her it may have been her just getting me a really nice piece of jewelry. But to me, it meant more, it is something that I can always have with me and have ever since. Especially now that I have moved over 700 miles away from home, and I cannot see her everyday it means even more, because when I look down the ring is always there. It symbolizes to me the comfort of my mother, the love that I have for her, and her for me...
Using a book as a metaphor for poetry really helps me understand poetry and why I don't like it... because I hate reading lol. Great post!
ReplyDelete